2021 International Economic Development Week
About the Week
International Economic Development Week is a North America-wide celebration and recognition of economic development professionals and the essential work they are doing every day.
It was created by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC) in 2016 to increase awareness of local programs that create jobs, advance career development opportunities, and improve the quality of life in communities everywhere. Since its inception, hundreds of campaigns have been created throughout the United States and Canada, creating millions of impressions, hundreds of news stories, blog entries, videos, events and other activities.
What are the goals of #EconDevWeek?
• Articulate: Voice the value of your contributions to your local economy
• Organize: Build a base of support within your community for the work of your EDO
• Show and Tell: Emphasize the importance of economic development through tangible examples and peer case studies
• Amplify: Spread your message and increase exposure of the good work your EDO does
This year is an election year in municipalities across Alberta. It is also a great reason to encourage municipalities, large and small, to formally recognize and celebrate May 9-15, 2021 as "Economic Development Week" in their community.
We will be sharing more information and tools in the very near future, but in the interim, here are some things to consider:
- Proclaim "Economic Development Week" in your community. Post the proclamation online and share with your community stakeholders.
Sample county resolution
Sample provincial resolution
Sample city/town/village resolution
Share Key Tools & Resources
- Reach out to your local bloggers and creators and encourage them to share stories. Celebrate successes.
- Give virtual tours of your economic development offices. Talk about the resources you have. Introduce your staff.
- Host a photo competition. Let local businesses express how important economic development is to them.
- Align with local sponsors to help magnify your reach and impact.
- Organize an event or webinar to showcase economic development efforts in your community.
- Write a letter to the editor of your community newspaper about economic development in your town.
- Tag EDA's social media accounts with your activities.
- Download the 2021 logo and add to your promotion.
Economic Development Matters - EDA joined economic development organizations from across the country to create a website and to produce a short video that demonstrates the importance of economic development to the fabric of a community. This website contains the video in both official languages. Feel free to download these videos and make good use of them.
Championing Economic Development Videos- Check out IEDC’s YouTube page for a series of videos about the profession and its accomplishments. See interviews with key economic development professionals on topics such as the roles of key partners, engaging elected officials, successful projects and more.
What is Economic Development? Economic development is the intentional practice of improving a community’s economic well-being and quality of life. It includes a broad-range of activities to attract, create, and retain jobs, and to foster a resilient, pro-growth tax base and an inclusive economy. The practice of economic development comprises of a collaborative effort involving industry, government and myriad community stakeholders. Download the "What is Economic Development Brochure" to provide a basic overview on economic development, EDOs, and what economic developers do for your community as part of your campaign materials. Why Invest in Economic Development in Good Times?- An excellent resource when the value of economic development programs is called into question. This brochure provides the rationale of why investing in economic development is good for a community.
Who Economic Development Programs help and How- This brochure gives a higher level overview of who and how economic development programs help, including examples of some of the services that EDOs typically provide.
Introduction to Economic Development- This powerpoint presentation highlights how economic development is the intentional practice of improving improving a community’s economic well-being and quality of life.